Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I will not live a life of regret..........Penny Chenery (owner of Secretariat)

One of my favorite scenes from Disney's "Secretariat" is watching Diane Lane as Penny Chenery in the barn frustrated that she needs money to save her farm, but does not want to sell the horse because she knows he will become the next Triple Crown Winner.  Her dream is to fulfill her father's greatest dream.  She is under so much pressure from family and friends to just give in and sell the horse.  She looks to the heavens and yells, "I will not live a life of regret!" 
   She didn't.  They were able to keep Secretariat theirs and sell breeding rights to a number of investors.  She went for her dream and won.  How great must that feel.  How many of us have tried and failed?  How many of us have never tried, too afraid to fail.  I would have to say that I am one that does not want to ever look back and regret not trying.  This has not always worked out for me, but I'm glad I'd tried.
    If you ask Julie what her biggest regret is in her life she would say, "Not trying out for the lead in the Mater Dei Senior Musical." The powers that be had asked her to try out.  She was the best singer and looked the part of Mairian the Librarian (we were doing The Music Man.) Her friends, family and boyfriend did not want her to do it. They told her it was too much time, it was for geeks and she would never think about it again.  If you ask her not a day goes by without the thought of how this decision would have changed her life.  This decision screams "Butterfly Effect."  Her life would have been changed dramatically.  She wouldn't have been a young mother, she would have gone on to UCLA after that who knows?  I believe she would have been California's first female Governor!
    When I was in high school I was very shy and stuttered very badly, so I didn't have much confidence in myself.  That being said, I didn't date very much.  The girls that I wanted to date were unattainable to me back then.  The only thing keeping me from succeeding was me!  My regret is not being braver and asking out Julie when we were in high school.  She was in my homeroom the first day of Mater Dei and I sat behind her at our graduation.  In between I saw her from time to time having fun with all of the popular kids.  I was just to afraid of talking to her.  If you ask her today she would tell you, " I would have loved dating Dave back in high school."  Maybe, maybe not.  We will never know because I didn't try.  That is my regret. When I saw her at our 30th reunion I decided that I would not live a life of regret anymore.  And I don't!!

No comments:

Post a Comment