Sunday, June 28, 2015

RIP ..Dick Van Patten

   When I was young I watched a lot of television.  I didn't date very much in my high school days so I needed a hobby that didn't involve the trombone or studying.  The American Broadcasting Company had a show called "Eight is Enough." It ran from the fall of 1977 to the spring of 1981. Coincidently that was my four years of high school.  Dick Van Patten played the patriarch of a large family.  He was my role model for a father, not that I needed one--I had my dad, but they were very different.  Television was still connected to a certain formula of fatherhood, Mike Brady, Ward Cleaver, Cliff Huxtable.  As time would go on we would get introduced to fathers such as Tony Soprano, Walter White.  The old fashioned fathers on TV had no faults. There were always wise, never cussed, rarely drank and didn't yell til the vein in their forehead became its own zip code.  We all knew these weren't real people, but I think we wished they were.  
   I met Dick Van Patten 33 years later in the Turf Club at Santa Anita.  I had seen him there before, but never approached him. It's funny how we consider celebrity a different class here in the USA. On this particular afternoon I took my hygienist Lora and my assistant Becky to lunch for a birthday celebration.  Becky was turning 40 and Julie's horse "Cousin Ricky" was running in a race.  They sat us in the owners' section of the Turf Club right next Dick Van Patten!  He was dressed in an old shirt, pajama bottoms, house slippers and had not shaved in two days.  He had brought a tub of "Cool Whip Frosting" that he was eating as his entree.  The waiter had brought him a bowl of ice cubes that he was eating like tortilla chips.  If I didn't know who he was I would have thought he was a hobo.  Several of his friends came by to say, "Hi Dickie!"  Including Academy Award winner Joel Grey and producer Mel Brooks.
    Lora and I are close to the same age, so were both star struck. Becky had no idea who the old guy was, she just thought he was a sick old man.  Anyway, as most of you know I am not very shy.  I reached over with my hand and introduced myself and told him that Lora and I were big fans of his. He had a glazed medicated look to his eyes, but such a sweet smile. With a surprise sound to his voice he said, "You know who I am?" Lora and I assured him that not only did we know him, but that we grew up admiring the kind of man he represented.  We started talking about horse racing and I found out that he has a few horses that he owns.  I told him about my history with the equine and that I had bred "Cousin Ricky" who was about to race in a few minutes.  Mr. Van Patten introduced me to his friends. He explained that they meet there almost every race day.  They have for years.
   Lunch came and we ate as he got back to reading the racing form to place his next bet.  Out came the horses for race #2.  There was Cousin Ricky looking bright and ready for battle.  I thought that if he caught a lucky break he could get second place.  When the gates popped opened, Cousin Ricky tripped and went down to his knees, but the brand new jockey (Drayden Van Dyke) pulled him up and ran him up right behind the leaders.  I was holding my breath watching the race unfold.  About two hundred yards from the finish Cousin Ricky took the lead and pulled away from the pack.   I could hear a loud voice scream, "Run Mother Fucker, Run!!" When he crossed the finish line I could see everyone staring at me, I guess I was the one screaming! I grabbed Lora and Becky and ran down to get in the Winning Picture.
   We came up after the picture with everyone smiling at us and offering congratulations.  Dick Van Patten and I shook hands and he said, "I bet on your horse."  I asked him if would sign the box that the little trophy came in.  He was delighted to do this and I brought it home to show Julie (another big fan!)
   Dick died this week (complications of Diabetes.)  I was hoping to see him at the track again.  Talk horses, life and memories.  Like my dad there won't be anymore opportunities.  I do regret not getting a picture with him.  I only knew him from television and an hour at the track, but I imagine that watching how many friends he had and how nice he was to a stranger (albeit I am quite handsome and charming), Dick was a really nice guy.  We need more people like him on earth, not less.  I hope Dick is winning the Trifecta where ever he is right now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment