Thursday, July 16, 2015

I used to love digging when I was a boy.....

When I was a boy I loved to dig.  I was fortunate enough to have a backyard with a huge dirt lot.  My dad one time found a tunnel that was deep enough to hide me and three of my friends.  I don't know why it was so important.  Maybe the feeling of accomplishing a goal everyday (digging a little deeper.) Maybe it was the fact that I had made the perfect spot to win a game of "Hide and Seek." Maybe it was a place that I thought was all mine and I could just hide from the world.  It took me weeks to make that tunnel.  When my dad found it he made me fill it in.  I was disappointed, but that gave me another goal (filling it back in, which I accomplished.)
   Nowadays I don't dig any holes in the dirt.  I haven't had a garden in three years.  I loved digging in my garden.  I would take a shovel to the hard ground, turn it over and add mulch every year.  Then I would plant my tomatoes.  I loved that!  I have loved gardening since I was a boy and it is only in the last three years that I haven't had a garden.  I live with Julie in her little condo and there is no yard.  I have been offered by friends to come over and use their dirt for my garden, but that just doesn't seem to be the same.  I like the freedom to walk outside at any moment and look down at the growing little plants, picking weeds and watering when necessary. That represented "Freedom" to me.  Something that was completely mine that I took care of and that I produced a product which was so important to me.  It nourished my body and soul!
    I think the forefathers of our great nation had this in mind when they declared independence from our soverign in 1776.  We wanted to be left alone to dig, make our own sustanance and have the freedom to make our own choices.  Sometimes, I wish I was ten again and all I had on my mind was digging.

Can you dig it?

1 comment:

  1. I miss my yard too. For me it was therapy. It was a way to put my energy and have it produce good things - beautiful flowers and a yard that the neighborhood admired. The comment about going out at any given time is the other thing I miss. Not too long ago I worked 2 hours in a friends yard and no, it wasn't the same. Someday I hope to be putting root down and watching them grow.....again. I hope your home sells soon and you too will be able to hit the spade to the dirt and watch your garden grow!

    ReplyDelete