Wednesday, July 15, 2015

taking chance...will you?

It's funny how some people will cross a street without looking and others will wait for the car that is a mile away to pass before crossing a street.  Life is not always as dramatic as those examples, but you know what I mean.  Most people know what level of "risk" they are willing to take in life.
  Last month I had the pleasure of being taken to lunch by my son, Bobby.  We talked for two hours.  What really mattered the most was talking about his future.  He is moving to Chicago at the end of this month to start a new life there.  He wants to get into stage acting and comedy.  He has saved his money and found a place to live.  He will give it a try for a few years. 
What makes this decision difficult is that he has a young lady in his life. Her name is Katherine.  They have been friends for four years and are now dating, seriously.  Bobby told me that he thinks about being away from her and how hard that will be.  I asked many questions about her.  Mostly amounting to, "Is she a good partner?"  His answer was, "Yes!"  
   I told him that if he feels this way about her, perhaps he should ask Katherine to move out to Chicago with him.  He was afraid to ask her in case it didn't work out.  I told him, "What if it does?" He said again, "What if it doesn't?"  I told him, "You'll never know unless you try."  This went back and forth for a while.  He doesn't want to hurt her if the situation doesn't work out.  I understand, hurting people is not what we like to do.  I told him to think about it.
   Last weekend we had a party for the family.  Bobby brought Katherine and introduced her to our visiting Missouri family.  She reminds me of Julie.  Katherine is genuine, friendly, hard working, smiles a lot, and talks kindly to Bobby.  That last part is what I wanted most in a partner and I get it daily from Julie.  Anyway, at the party I found out that Katherine recently asked Bobby if he might want to have her come along and live together in Chicago.  He was relieved!  He just couldn't take the chance to hurt her. Katherine on the other hand didn't see any hurt in the future only hope for happiness.  Hope. I like Hope!
    Bobby is leaving for Chicago in a couple of weeks.  Katherine will join him in May.  She needs to finish some obligations before she goes.  I like that she understands what an obligation is!  Last weekend at the party I put up a Piñata for everyone to have fun with. I gave all our guests the chance to use a big stick or my ten foot bullwhip (yes, I own a bullwhip! I actually own two. I thought I would be the next Indiana Jones back in 1982. That story can wait for another post. )  I demonstrated with the whip and quickly knocked off one of the legs of the bull shaped Piñata.  Of the sixteen or so guests at our little party only Katherine took up the opportunity to try the whip on the Piñata.  I gave her a quick lesson, but it really takes a lot of practice and you do get whipped in the process from time to time.  As you can imagine, she ended up with a nice whip shaped welt on her leg.  She also ended up with the experience of trying a bullwhip.  She was all smiles.  A person has to be willing to go outside of their comfort-zone sometime to get what they want. It's not easy.
   Katherine took a chance...will you?



No comments:

Post a Comment