Sunday, June 7, 2015

Old Friends...shared memories (I'll be your Huckleberry!)

I had the pleasure to meet up with an old friend (dental school buddy Chip) and his delightful wife (Cindy) a couple of weeks ago.  We had not seen each other in over ten years.  We started following each other on FaceBook over the past two years and have noticed some interesting facts.  We are very, very similar.  We also share some very important memories.
  Dental school is easily described if you have ever read "The Tale of Two Cities."  It was the best of times it was the worst of times!  If you want to go pre-maturely grey sign up for dental school.  If you want to learn more than you have ever combined in your life, go to dental school. If you want to laugh and howl with joy, go to dental school.  I loved it and I hated it!  I would never go through that again, but I'm glad I did.
   After twenty six years Chip and I talked about family, politics, business and dreams.  It was obvious that we shared not only the same views, but the same memories.  How do you mention a phrase from a movie that you did not see together and get so excited?  We are very similar.  Let me ask a different question; say there was a guy who went to dental school in Bombay, India (circa 1989.) Do you think he would share the same memories or the same political, business, family philosophies?
  Me too, I don't know!  This makes for great public forum.  I can imagine that this fellow from India may be wishing that his children do well from his endeavors.  Like mine, I wish the very best for my children.  Chip has a son that graduated from Law school, he has a son that is attending dental school and a daughter that is in college.  When his middle boy graduated Loyola and was accepted to UCLA dental school, Chip threw a party in San Pedro.  He explained that it took a village to help raise his son.  I don't think so!  Chip and Cindy are such amazing people that their son didn't need much more  help than the example's he had at home.  I admire Chip, probably because he reminds me of me!  Cindy was the wife I never had.  I do now in Julie! But during my children's middle and late years they did not have two parents that were from the same mold. I tried to teach my children  by example.  I wish they had have two parents to observe. Some how my children did survive and have done well. I do wish that they had have the luxury of two parents with the same passion for life.
  Back to old friends...  Julie always asks me why I didn't go after some younger girls when I left my wife of twenty five years.  I always tell her that I wanted someone that could be my friend.  Julie is my best friend, let there be no doubt! I can't mention any band, television show, movie or president that she can't relate too.  She is my Huckleberry! So is Chip!

No comments:

Post a Comment