Monday, August 3, 2015

Saying Goodbye to Bobby.

Twenty five years ago Bobby came into my life as a eight pound fourteen ounce baby boy. The following decade included, diapers, training pants, Dr. Seuss marathons, fighting over what to eat and what not to eat, how to be a good boy, Sunday school, kindergarten, elementary school. the second decade included baseball, soccer, homework, first Communion, swim team, trumpet lessons, karate lessons, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, trips to Alaska, Washington D.C., Boston, Virginia, Lake Tahoe, Laughlin,  Christmas excitement, Easter Egg Hunts, Valentine Days cards, school dances, Homecoming, Prom, graduation, college, major change, College graduation, parental divorce survival and now a new life destination: Chicago!

Bobby has been planning this move for two years.  He has saved his money, carefully studied where to go that would be best for his occupation.  He found just the right apartment in an area that is safe and yet not too expensive.  He has found just the right person to share his life.  She will join him in nine months.  He understands that this will be a challenge for the two of them, but he knows he needs to stick to his game plan.  
  His plan included packing all that he owns into a U-haul and driving cross country (over two thousand miles.) When I heard his plan I volunteered to go with him.  No matter how old they are, I always feel that in some way they need me.  He was completely capable to do this on his own, but he was thankful that I offered to come along.
   We met outside Julie's condo at 4am on Wednesday.  It took us fifteen hours to make Albuquerque that first day.  The next day took us nine hours to make Oklahoma City. The day after was eight hours to make St. Louis where we took a breather to visit with relatives for two days.  Swimming, sword fights, bull whip demonstrations, barbecues, blackjack, and volleyball games with the cousins was all done during the next 48 hours.
   Today we left at 4 am for Chicago.  We made it in under six hours, unloaded the truck in 30 minutes (he didn't believe his old man could move so fast!) We got a sandwich and hopped on the trains to Midway Airport.  I kept telling him that he didn't need to come all the way to the airport to see me off.  He insisted, saying it would be good for him to learn all the stations.  I knew why he was coming and so did he.  
   We made it to the station and he walked with me as far as he could.  Just feet before the passenger only section we said our good-byes.  As I hugged him I started to quiver and cry, but I was surprised when I could him crying too.  I looked at him and he said quietly, "this is hard." I tried to make him laugh by passing my hand over my face and changing from a frown to a smile.  It only worked for a second. We both started to cry again.  I told him, "You are going to do great here!"  I was trying my best to be as strong as possible.  I don't know what was exactly going through his mind, but I know what was going through mine.  I was being dropped off by this twenty five year old man


and all I could see was this little boy. I love him so much!



3 comments:

  1. Third time through and I'm sobbing again! So sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great thing driving him there...he'll always remember this time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great thing driving him there...he'll always remember this time...

    ReplyDelete