Saturday, August 15, 2015

If you could go back in time....would you?

Yesterday I was having a talk with a very wise friend.  We discussed the ever popular question, "Would you go back in time?" I said, "Yes, with what I know now!"  He responded, "Oh no, you can't cheat.  You need to go back without knowing what happened."
I sat back with raised eyebrows.  I have never thought of these rules for this mental game.  I always thought about how much I would change by righting all of my wrong decisions.  Now I'm being told that I can go back, but I will probably do the exact same thing.
   My wise friend said, "I won't go back, just to repeat the same mistakes."  I quickly agreed, but as the day went on I thought about some moments in time that I wish I could go back.  I was thinking about a vacation we took in 1999.  It was a cruise to Alaska.  We had the best time.  None of us had ever seen glaciers before.  We spent an entire day in Glacier Bay watching these gigantic chunks of ice "calve." The kids held butterflies in the palms of their hands in an aviary in Victoria.  Mary had her hair done for the first time by a stylist.  I danced with my little Mary every night (and I even had her brothers take turns dancing with her- she was six and loved to dance.)  The kids and I went panning for gold at a camp in Skagway.  We took a train ride into the hills above Juneau.  In Ketchikan we watched the locals carve a totem pole.  The boys stayed up late to watch a comedian perform on the ship. They thought he was the funniest guy ever, of course they were 9 and 10.
We dressed up several times for formal dinner nights in which the boys and I wore suits and the girls wore pretty dresses. It was fun.
   Would I go all the way back to 1999 to experience life again? I don't think so.  There were good times as well as the bad ones, but if I go back it would be another twelve years before I would see Julie.  I just can't risk that.  I've already waited a long time to be in her life.  I have pictures from that vacation and I have my memories. 
       I sure would like to have one more dance with Mary.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing more special, the Father/Daughter dance......at her wedding. Something to look forward to, not back. :)

    ReplyDelete