Sunday, May 31, 2015

Fit as a Fiddle

One of my favorite scenes from "Singing in the Rain" involves Donald O'Conner and Gene Kelly doing a Vaudeville act that includes them singing and playing fiddles to the song "Fit as a Fiddle."  In 1981 Steve Martin and Gregory Hines also performed this number for the former's one hour television special.  It was spectacular!  Now we all have favorite forms of entertainment, whether it be rock, blues, dixieland, musicals, rap, heavy metal, barber shop quartets, etc. etc..  What does that say about any one person?
  I can remember driving my kids crazy by playing musicals in the car as I drove them around while they were young. There were times went there wasn't any complaints from the back seat, but there were times when they would groan.  The music didn't make them move like it did me.  I remember my dad always playing brass quartet music or philharmonic music.  It didn't do much for me, but it really moved him.  A friend of my parents came to the office the first year that I was a dentist and couldn't stop complaining about the choice of music we had on the radio (soft rock.)  She complained so much that I had one of my assistants change the station. Upon which she stated, "Now this is the right music, everything else is garbage."  I didn't want to argue with her (that wasn't my style then.) I do believe that it truly takes talent to make any type of music.  That being said, I hate rap, hip hop, heavy metal.  Even though I don't like that type of music doesn't mean it shouldn't be performed.
   What does my choice of music say about me?  I think that those of us who are constantly listening to musicals want happiness in their life, an almost "Walter Mitty" hope for a life that is on display in musicals. Now, not all musicals are happy, some are quite sad, but they truly express an emotion that raises the Serotonin in my body.  Why doesn't rap do this for me, and yet for someone else? I like Mariachi music, not to the same extent that my assistant at work does, but it's okay for a minute or so.  What does that say about her, who can listen to it for hours?  Is she more passionate about life because she tells me that their music is about passion?  I have another assistant who loves to listen to Heavy Metal.  This type of music truly curdles my milk, but she can listen to it for hours.  Is she more filled with adventure because she listens to this and I don't?  As you can see I have lots of questions and very few answers.  Maybe I'll listen to Gene Kelly and Donal O'Conner for a while and wish that my life was a stage!

1 comment:

  1. Your life IS a stage, Dr. Lester! And I'm in the audience...giving a standing ovation!

    ReplyDelete